Please find some helpful Frequently Asked Questions that give you a quick solution to any queries or question you may have regarding our products.
We currently offer 3 types of ice pack, with another coming to our line up very soon!
- Water Ice Packs
- Gel Ice Packs
- Hydro-Freeze Ice Packs
- Enviro-Gel (coming soon)
See the full range here: https://hydropac.co.uk/hydropac-range/
We produce and fill each ice pack on site at our Buckinghamshire factory in the heart of the UK.
To do this, we have our own unique inhouse machinery, designed and built by the Hydropac team of clever scientists and engineers! This machinery allows us to offer an unrivalled dosing system that accurately fills each ice pack to capacity.
We also have our own “Seal through Liquid” technology. This innovative breakthrough system means that each ice pack is completely sealed and extremely durable; our ice packs (water and gel) can withstand over 200kg of weight without bursting.
Courier Boxes are small boxes suitable to deliver small orders of ice packs to you by overnight courier, perfect for those with smaller requirements. They are available with a low MOQ of just 1 box. If you would like a custom printed ice pack then the MOQ is 2 pallets per production run, but we will require commitment to a larger volume of film.
Freezer Trays have been designed for larger volume orders, so the ice packs can be frozen on the pallet in bulk. We have a 1 pallet (48 Trays) MOQ on these, or just 2 pallets for custom printed ice packs then the MOQ is 2 pallets per production run, but we will require commitment to a larger volume of film.
Freezer Trays have strategically engineered air-flow holes. These allow for a uniform freeze to the centre of the pallet and ensures the sheets will not stick together, unlike traditional “Soak & Freeze” packs.
Water ice packs will always be the eco-friendliest option, especially as the water ice packs we offer are the purest, cleanest and safest ice packs available on the market.
But if it must be Gel, then keep watch for our new launch coming very soon – ‘EnviroGel’
Every single ice pack we make, whether that be gel or water, has to pass our rigorous QC processes. These include a 6-stage filtration process, softening, chlorination and finally being treated with UV light.
Once this has happened, we send quality-controlled samples from every single production run to an independent lab for microbiological testing. As such, we can provide full cleanliness and safety certification for every single order leaving our factory.
Our water ice packs have even been granted accreditation as “safe to ingest”.
Full certification for our water ice packs can be found here: https://hydropac.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Copy-of-TRA-WATER-PACKS.pdf
We supply our ice packs in transparent film as standard, with our logo on one side so that you and your customers can see the contents are not harmful. We are proud of our outstanding adherence to quality and the fact that all of our ice packs are food safe, so we add our logo for traceability purposes too.
More on this here: https://hydropac.co.uk/exciting-changes-standard-ice-packs/
That said, we can supply any of our ice pack range in any colour and print them with your own logo/information if you prefer. Printed and custom sized ice packs are always made to order and we offer unrivalled low minimum order levels starting from just 2 pallets per production run, but we will require commitment to a larger volume of film.
Water Ice Packs
We offer 8 different size options: But we can make any size Ice Pack, just ask!
- 500g – 12 pockets
- 500g – 4 pockets
- 750g – 6 pockets
- 1kg – 8 pockets
- 500g – 1 pocket
- 250g – 4 pockets
- 500g – 8 pockets
- 1kg – 16 pockets
We introduced the Single pocket ice packs (500g-1 Pocket) because the trend was moving towards low cost ice packs, However, the multi-pocket ice packs work better and is more economical for larger boxes!
If you have a box of food ready to post, ideally you should fill the footprint of this box with ice, add your foodstuffs and then fill the top layer with more ice packs. This helps to achieve even temperature coverage throughout the box and the food within. Covering all of the area will ensure that the food maintains a constant temperature throughout with no ‘hotspots’.
If you use the single pocket packs (500g-1 Pocket) you would need to use so many of them to cover the footprint that it becomes uneconomical, so a multi-pocket pack is the best choice to ensure the food is evenly chilled or frozen and importantly maintained throughout the journey.
No – all of our ice packs, regardless of fill, are burst strength tested to 200kg.
Yes, we prefer the transparency of a fully clear ice pack, including the film covering.
Pre-frozen ice packs are quite simply the pinnacle of convenience in the ice pack world, offering customers a quick solution if they don’t have the time to freeze down ice packs before shipping to their end customer.
They are delivered in full pallet lots on a 3-5-day service using frozen transport, so can be ready to send straight back out when they arrive.
Gel Ice Packs
We offer 2 different size options: But we can make any size required, just ask!
- 500g – 2 pockets
- 500g – 1 pocket
- Water Ice Packs are made from pure, filtrated water that has been chlorinated, softened and UV light treated to be certified as “Food Safe”.
- Gel Ice Packs are made from a unique, passive cooling, non-toxic polymer gel formula that is FSA & FDA approved. They are also completely Food Safe.
The only fundamental difference is that one is a gel and one is water; everyone has their own set of preferences, but the moral compass at Hydropac is firmly with the environmentally friendly water packs.
However! The Gel (SAP – Super Absorbent Polymer) formula is a plastic derivative which is non-soluble and simply absorbs moisture, swelling in size when it comes into contact. The same SAP formula is used in babies’ nappies; for this reason disposal is almost impossible and is most likely to find itself in landfill, polluting the water table or worst case in our seas at some point in its life. We know where our preferences are, which is why 95% of our ice packs sold are pure water.
So, because our mantra is to be as environmentally freindly as possible, we are set to launch a very new ‘patented’ Gel Ice pack that we are calling ‘EnviroGel’ that will tick all these eco boxes and More – So watch this space!
Gel ice packs are slightly more expensive because of the cost of the formula that goes into them vs plain water. Simples.
Hydro-Freeze Ice Packs
Our Hydro-Freeze ice packs use a specially engineered phase change liquid that offers a Food Safe alternative to dry ice. They maintain a FSA & FDA approved product temperature of below -15°C when used with our insulated systems.
They must be frozen at a temperature at or below -22°C prior to use, to activate the phase change to a solid, so you must ensure your freezer is capable.
They have been specially engineered for use when transporting frozen food and will keep these goods at a constant frozen temperature.
Water or Gel Packs can also be used with frozen or chilled foods/goods, but you will need to use considerably more of them than Hydro-Freeze to provide the same effect… there’s science involved you know!
We offer 2 different sizes for Hydro-Freeze Ice Packs: But we can make any size to order, just ask!
- 700g – 2 pockets
- 500g – 1 pocket
Yes, both options are available.
Yes, Hydro-Freeze are provided as a clear Food Safe liquid in a blue film.
Selecting the right packaging for the shipment of food requiring temperature control is a critical element in delivering fresh produce with your customers time and time again. Hydropac can help all its customers with a “bespoke service” supporting them in the choice of the optimum combination of products.
Hydropac will need to know information such as:
- Types of produce, i.e. meat, fish, cheese, etc.
- Weight/Dimensions of produce
- Shipment temperature required: ambient, chilled, or frozen.
- Shipment duration
- Existing packaging method<
- Customer information required on the outer carton
- Estimated unit volume per month
- Your projected monthly and/or annual demand
- Interest in “post-it” back recycling bags
What are the instructions for use?
How do I know how many Sheets/Mats to use per customer order?
Hydropac have designed a unique interactive piece of software that enables calculation of the optimum number, size and weight of Ice Sheets to be used inside our Insulated Boxes, when tailored to your exacting requirements.
By entering as many variables as possible, Hydropac can provide the customer with a complete picture of the temperature controlled packaging solution.
Please call for exact details on 01494 530182.
Guide Purposes Only – Insulated Shipping Systems and Ice Sheets
4-6 Kg Boxes require 2 – 4 x 500g Ice Sheets
6-10Kg Boxes require 4 – 6 x 500g Ice Sheets
10-15Kg Boxes require 6 x 500g Ice Sheets
20-25Kg Boxes require 6 – 8 x 500g Ice Sheets
At what temperature do the Sheets/Mats guarantee?
Ice Sheets must be frozen to -18ºc in order to deliver optimum cooling performance during shipment. They are then guaranteed to keep produce below +8ºc during shipment as long as the correct numbers of Ice Sheets are used per Kg weight of produce.
How long do the Ice Sheets stay at the required cooling temperature?
Ice Sheets should not be removed from the freezer until you are ready to pack and seal your produce in an Insulated Box. Hydropac then guarantee at least 24 hours cooling performance, but can offer bespoke products to achieve in excess of 48+ hours where required.
How can I maximise the effectiveness of each sheet/mat/box?
To maximise the effectiveness of each product, Hydropac recommends that its customers:
1. Keep products at the lowest temperature before packaging, recommended, just above zero.
2. Wrap products in an insulating material such as “bubble wrap” to prevent the Ice Sheets from freezing the produce.
3. Remove the Ice Sheets from the deep freeze (-18c) just before packing.
4. Place the Ice Sheets evenly across the top and bottom of the insulated box. If there is an odd number of Ice Sheets place the higher number at the bottom of the Insulated Box.
5. Add “dunnage” (e.g. bubble wrap, Void Fill) to prevent the products from moving around during transit. Do not use an excessively large box.
6. Once packed, ensure that the Insulated Box lid is fitted snugly and taped securely.
What materials are used in the manufacture of Hydropac products?
- The Foam Liners within the Insulated Shipping Systems are made of closed cell, non-cross linked polyethylene; a material that is fully recyclable through your normal household recycled collections; almost indestructible, waterproof, wipe clean and totally reusable.
- Hydropac’s Thermal Postal Pockets are made entirely of LDPE materials and can also be recycled through your normal household recycled collections.
- Hydropac’s Ice Packs are made entirely of LDPE material and is completely recyclable through your normal household recycled collections, but don’t forget to empty the contents down the drain or even water your plants with it – remember, our water is the purest there is, your plants will love it!
- Carry Home Bags – what can I say, also totally recyclable through your household recycled collections.
- Reflective Air Bags – Unfortunately, despite being made of totally of recyclable materials, the recycling centers in the UK are not quite ready to separate the materials for recycling, but due to the very low weight ratio compared to other systems, the effective disposal costs are minimal.
- The Polystyrene Systems (EPS) can be recycled at any one of the following recycling centers throughout the UK.
Which Hydropac’s products can be reused?
All of our systems are totally reusable, just wipe them clean and use them again. Even our Ice Packs can simply be re-frozen and reused.
How many times can the Insulated Boxes be reused?
All of our systems can be reused time and time again, provided the structure remains in tact, the thermal protection will remain as good as new.
If end-users are encouraged to recycle our systems up to 5 times, then our customers can save around 29% on their packaging costs – it means, of course, less business in the long term for Hydropac, but as part of its commitment to the environment, this is more than outweighed by creating valuable customer relationships.
Do you have another question?
Simply fill out the form below with your query and we will get back to you asap.